Saturday, March 11, 2017

Sew-y Saturday - Shabby Chic Rag Quilt







It feels like I've made about a hundred of these fun rag quilts, but  maybe scores would be more like it. The fact that they don't need to be quilted makes them such an attractive option for a baby or lap quilt.  



My favorite fabrics, even for baby quilts, are these vintage looking cotton florals and  calico prints. The shabby chic look is very popular, even with young moms. I use white cotton flannel for the batting and the three layers of cotton fabric fray beautifully.  Some people choose to use flannel for their quilts and opt for only two layers.   It works anyway you choose, as long as you use cotton fabric for the fraying. Here's a simple Beverly's tutorial on the basics of making a rag quilt. 


When I first started making these quilts, I had to hand cut the fringe in the raw edges with scissors.  It's an easy process and can go quite fast when you get in a rhythm, but it is a little tedious. My whole world changed when I got an Accuquilt Go for my birthday and found out they had actual rag quilt dies. Although it's a little tricky to sew straight on the fringed edge, it's much faster than snipping the fringe manually.  Once the fringe is cut, all that's left to do is throw the quilt in the washing machine and let the magic begin.  The seams get softer and fluffier with every wash. My husband and I each cuddle up in our own rag quilt every night in front of the TV.  Everyone needs a blankie, don't you think?  

Thanks for visiting.
Go forth and be fabulous.
Nancy







1 comment:

  1. Ewwww, I love this so much. The colours and texture are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete